ABOUT ALEKSANDRA KASUBA
Lithuanian-born artist Aleksandra Kasuba came to America in 1947. Since 1963, she lived and worked in New York City designing walls for public buildings in brick, marble, and granite. Among them a 4,000 square feet wall in etched granite at the World Trade Center in NY (destroyed in 9/11/2001), a Brick Relief at 53rd St & Lexington Ave. in NYC in 1981, the Old Post Office Plaza on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC, Container Corp. Headquarters in Chicago IL, four brick walls at RIT in Rochester NY, among others. In parallel, Aleksandra was also building innovative environments of tensile fabrics. Among them were a structure in Woodstock at Whiz Bang Quick City #2 in 1972, a 20th Century Environment at the Carborundum Museum of Ceramics in Niagara Falls in 1973, and 30,000 square feet of fabric installations for the International Furniture Exhibit in Paris for the US Air Force in 1980. She participated in Art and Technology exhibit at The Brooklyn Museum in 1968, and took part in the Art-in-Science program of the University City Science Center in Philadelphia in 1977 and 1989. In 1983 she was awarded a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts.
As of May 2013, a part of Aleksandra Kasuba’s archival materials—mainly of works from 1942 to 2000—are now in the Archives of American Art, the Smithsonian Institution. The works after 2000 are to follow.
Copyright 2019 Aleksandra Kasuba